Sunday, September 23, 2007

Blogger Sense

Last year I struggled to make blogging a meaningful experience for my students, and at times I felt as if I assigned blog responses simply for the sake of requiring them to blog. This year, however, I have been delighted with blogging responses that make sense. For example, recently I asked my AP Language students to go beyond required assignments for Beowulf and investigate websites related to Anglo-Saxon literature, archetypal heroes, and additional epic adventures. I told students to find articles, artwork, and websites they found interesting and to share their discoveries on our class blog. Although I haven’t finished perusing all of their connections, I am delighted with what I’ve seen so far. If you’d like to see some of their responses, visit “The Best of All Intellectual Risk-Takers.”





http://ferrillp1.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Nice. Perhaps this is something the students could put together as a more user-friendly resource for other teachers/students. Perhaps a web page/wiki?

3:51 PM  
Blogger Crazy is the Asian said...

I was wondering if any one of out educators would be able to provide a blog to introduce a new type of dicussion. The growing gapp between students and their educators. It's almost as if students fail to realize that their teachers are humans trying to communicate and assist the most important stages of life.

More importantly that teachers do live in the same world as the students do. Not to disrespect those teachers, but I could use a teacher that can talk about his or her beliefs. So in many ways it slays the "close-knitt" enviroment so many teachers would like when they can't say what they believe.

Ways around this?
Takers?
Ways to connect?

7:04 PM  
Blogger ethan l said...

This is an interesting blog because when I started doing blogs in Ms. Smiths class I thought it was pointless but it became interesting to talk about things. I think that if your not into it then there really isn't any point because it is only interesting if you want to talk about it or tell people about. I like posting blogs but I have to find a blog I really want to talk about or I can't really think of anything to say because it's not interesting to me. I am glad you posted this because blogs are pretty much pointless if there is no meaning to them.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home