Friday, September 08, 2006

Success!

I am delighted with the results of my first class-blogging experience. I asked my AP students some questions about the novel they just finished reading, and overall, I found their responses insightful, eloquent, and authentic. Instead of responding to each of their comments (How do you find the time for so many comments, Karl?), I created a quick PowerPoint to show them samples of excellent and mediocre responses. Then I told them I would simply post a grade for each response based on the standards I emphasized with the PowerPoint presentation. A positive by-product of this lesson that I had not anticipated was the opportunity to insert some mini-grammar lessons as we read their posts. Usually I begin first semester by lifting sentences from their first in-class essays—this is a tedious process as I hand-write sentences I want to xerox. If I use blogging with all of my classes, I’ll never have to copy sentences again! Voila!

I also enjoyed the strong voice I discovered in their responses. Is it magic, or does some special force direct their hands when they type on a computer rather than write on paper? They seem to feel more liberated when writing in cyberspace—perhaps they sense a grander stage and feel more passionate their responses. I liked that. And I was not at all offended when one of my students posted a comment about our first class discussion that critiqued my teaching style:
Mrs. Ferrill, please take no offense, however, something I appreciated was that last year Ms. Kakos would hardly talk and let us initiate the entire discussion. Occasionally, she would chime in, but for the most part, she would not say much at all and if it was silent and no one was talking, she would just wait until someone did.
I really do need to extinguish that “sage on the stage” and look for the “guide on the side.” My problem is I love to perform, and I love seeing students’ faces light up when I ignite passion toward a specific author or piece of literature. Right before the beginning of the first final exam I gave last year, each student in the class stood up and recited a quotation I had taught them during the year—and they thanked me for sharing these masterpieces of the English language. I suppose that’s why I’m so selfish in hogging the stage—I have so many magical pieces to share. But I’m really going to try to zip my mouth more often. Hard to believe, isn’t it?

3 Comments:

Blogger shamitap said...

Mrs. Ferrill, I don't blame you at all! I am often the same way when it comes to the things I love! That's why I'm in speech, becuase I love to preform. I've been doing oratory, drama, and humor for the past year and it has just been one of my passions! I just love to talk, even though you might not hear too much of me in class somtimes!
And by the way, I wanted to tell you that I am really looking foward to your class this year. I've been hearing what a great teacher you are, and how much we will be challenged beyond our minds! Since writing is one of my weak spots, I am really looking forward to all your help and advice!
Oh, and I might be able to find a place to sneak some monkeys into my portfolio...

5:13 PM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I, too, see their voices come through loud and clear on the blogs. While I don't have your experience with grading essays, it appears as though they are often more authentic and passionate on the blog. I don't know that any of us really know the answer, but I certainly think part of it is writing for a larger audience. As we talked about before, no matter how much they like, respect and want to impress you, in the end for most of them it still ends up being turning in a paper to their teacher for a grade. But when they write on the blog, they know that not only you will be reading it, but so will their peers - and maybe people they don't even know. And if they care about what they are writing about, they want to make sure they convey that well to their (many) readers.

I think you also have a nice head start with getting so many of these students from Kristin. Not only is she an amazing teacher, but I think the students that blogged with her found their online voice last year and are primed and ready to go. After all, with students like Shamita (and many others), how could it not be fun?

As far as zipping your mouth goes, I certainly think you do need to give the students as much of the stage as you and they can handle. But don't muzzle yourself (although that's a fun image don't you think?) - you have so much to offer them and it wouldn't be the same without your unique (and I say that lovingly) contributions. Your class is a learning community, and don't ever forget that you are an important piece of that community.

8:52 PM  
Blogger MollyG said...

Don't be too quiet. You keep the class interesting, and you have things to say that we should probably know now that we're in AP.

As for online, it is a lot easier to speak with voice here as opposed to on paper. Online, the whole point is to get our ideas across, it doesn't necessarily have to be a masterpiece of literature. But when we turn in a written paper, not only do we have less time to think about it, but we're programmed to give official, plain responses through all our years of school. For most of us, the internet is a place to express ourselves, so it's more natural to use our voice here.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home