Monday, October 30, 2006

A Cornucopia of Thoughts

  • I’ve really liked the blogging assignments I’ve given my students so far, but I am behind in responding to their comments. I’m notorious for writing too many comments on their essays, and I just can’t keep up with the blogging comments as well. Any suggestions?
  • I would also like to use unitingstreaming for some of my classes, but I can’t seem to find clips that fit with my curriculum. For example, I wanted to show a clip of Geoffrey Chaucer or The Canterbury Tales and I couldn’t find one. Any suggestions?
  • I’ve also enjoyed the last few classes we’ve had although I usually feel we just scratch the surface of a new technique and then move on to something else. But that’s probably just my problem—I’m slow to understand new technology. What I find myself wishing is that I could take this class during the summer—I’d love more time to digest all that we’re learning!
  • Finally, I wish to personally thank Jared Robinson for showing me how to create turkey bullets even though I could not bet them to work on Blogger! Happy Halloween.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Clone yourself.

If that's not going to happen, then is there any way to have others (either other students or "outsiders") comment on their blogs? I know you want to do it all, but it just may not be possible. What about the assignments have you liked?

I don't have any great suggestions on unitedstreaming, I'm assuming you've searched. Have you considered looking elsewhere - like YouTube? You probably won't find anything "official," but you may find some good stuff. (Of course, with that topic, you are also likely to find some raunchy stuff, so don't search "live" in front of your students.)

I don't think the "scratch the surface" concern is unique to you - I imagine others are feeling it as well. We are trying to not overwhelm with the technology and just expose you to it at the surface level, then let you explore further on your own. That may or may not be the right approach . . .

7:19 PM  
Blogger Lary Kleeman said...

For response to your student bloggers, maybe you could choose to respond to certain individuals at a time. Perhaps, just do a little "allstar blog" collection a la Cheryl and show some segments of fine entries to your students when back in class--this would let them know that you are reading all the blogs even if not responding to each and all.

8:28 PM  
Blogger bkitch said...

I, like you, am guilty of the over commenting. I give feedback on everything. I am often grading for hours upon hours on the weekend. If you ever come up with a unique way of giving feedback, please fill me in. So far I have kept up with my blogs, but it is often a big struggle.
I must admit that it is cool when students are blogging and writing so much that I can't keep up. I guess I am a constant optimist!

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home