Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Let's Get It Started

On the eve of the 2006-2007 school year, I find myself reflecting on my focus for this year. I will admit, when I read The World is Flat, I wondered how much impact I could have on a world that worships math and science. Friedman even suggests our politicians should be engineers and scientists. But when I reached the section of the book that describes igniting a passion for learning in our students, I realized it's not too late for me to take an important role in preparing our kids for a flat world. You see, my husband has visited Japan at least three times on business exchanges, and he insists that even if the Asians surpass us in productivity, they still lag behind in creativity. I know Friedman addresses this issue in his book and says that both the Chinese and Indian people are aware of the need to foster creative thinking, but I still think American ingenuity, risk-taking, and bravado take a back-seat to no other country.

So what does that mean for me personally? Certainly Language Arts classes are designed as opportunities for students to be creative, but I also believe that "Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." Now--I just need to risk trying some new ignition possibilities. The first blog opportunities I give my junior AP students will probably be a fairly mundane one: React to your summer reading. Obviously this directive isn't argumentative in nature unless students disagree about the value of a novel read. But their responses might ignite a fire in another student when I assign the next independent study. Also, I need to feel confident that I know how to set up this blogging system. Then I would like to post some reaction papers to the assigned readings from class and ask sections of the class to give feedback. I'm a little worried about a blogging overload, so I hope to focus on a few comments at a time. On the other hand, Karl has convinced me I don't need to read every comment, and I do like the idea of using the posts to continue unfinished discussions from class. Honors/AP students always have more to say that we can listen to in one class period and continuing their conversations on-line appeals to me.

So--at least this is a start.

2 Comments:

Blogger annes said...

I am glad you are entering the world of blogging. It can be daunting but at the same time realize you are enabling them to carry over the simulating discussions outside of the class. No longer does the discussion and interaction have to end with the sound of the bell. GOod luck...

11:29 AM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think this is a great start. To quote our own Ray Hawthorne, "Go slow to go fast." Add in pieces where they make sense, then reflect on what value they added (or didn't) - and slowly expand the ways that you "ignite the passion."

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home