Friday, September 01, 2006

Taking the Plunge

I finally set up two class blogging sites last night and gave my students the option to respond to my post. When I polled my classes today to see how many students already were registered to blog, most of them raised their hands--so I'm convinced they are ready and eager for the blogging to begin. However, I'm still nervous. One of my students in 5th hour asked me a question about editing her personal blog address, and I couldn't answer it. I hate feeling unprepared, but I know these questions are part of my learning curve. However, when one of my students from first hour stayed after class to ask me what a blog was, I felt quite enlightened in being able to tell her. She's a new student from Highlands Ranch, and her question reminded me just how technologically advanced AHS is compared to other schools (thank you, Karl).

Otherwise, I'm still worried about the amount of time blogging might take once my students begin responding on a regular basis. I've noticed that several teachers are now sitting at their computers during lunch trying to read blogs. I'm often too much of a perfectionist, and I'm afraid I'm going to feel compelled to read every word they write and respond to each comment. I still battle writing too many comments on their essays.

But I'm convinced blogging is a direction I must go. One of my students from last year told me today that she had posted some questions she had about a novel she was reading for an AP independent study. She said another student who had read the same novel responded with several helpful insights, and she really appreciated the opportunity to bounce ideas off other students, not just her teachers. So--the temperature is still a little cold, but I'm keeping my head above water.

5 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I think those are very legitimate concerns for all of us, but especially for you. Maybe instead of "plunging" into blogging, you should just "stick your toe in?"

8:39 PM  
Blogger Mike Hetherington said...

You have taken the all-important first step. Set some general guidelines and then let the student blog(s) evolve. Looks like your on the right track.
http://mhetherington.net/blogs

1:09 PM  
Blogger Lary Kleeman said...

I think (other than technical glitches) you'll find commenting on student ideas and work on the blog to be more efficient than handwritten responses. This is in response to your question on my blog site about the thesis statements taking me less time to comment on. Typing my comments keeps up with my thinking better than handwritten comments.

9:25 PM  
Blogger annes said...

The other cool thing about blogging is using them for starter activities by having your students comment to the post with questions they have regarding an assigned text. That way they can all react and you aren't creating the questions, they are. The learning is directed to their interests. Keep in mind you still need to provide the "scaffolding " for their learning but they help construct their education. Does that make sense?

2:19 PM  
Blogger T Sale said...

To piggyback on Anne's comment, remember that the students themselves might take up the task of responding to one another's comments. For the AP Lit blogs, we're planning to record grades for their comments, but also show the class some of the comments that we felt were exemplary. This might take some of the burden off feeling that you have to comment on every blog entry.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home